- 1/2 bunch (6 ounces) dinosaur kale or lacinato kale, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 big handfuls of cooked large white beans
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- Generous pinch red pepper flakes
- Scant 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup (1/2 ounce) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Chop the kale, wash it, and shake off as much water as you can. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in the widest skillet you own. Add the beans in a single layer. Stir to coat the beans, then let them sit long enough to brown lightly on one side, about 3 or 4 minutes, before turning to brown the other side, also about 3 or 4 minutes. The beans should be golden and a bit crunchy on the outside.
Add the kale and salt to the pan and cook for less than a minute, just long enough for the kale to lose a bit of its structure. Stir in the walnuts and garlic, wait 10 seconds, then stir in the allspice and pepper flakes. Wait ten seconds and stir in the lemon juice and zest. Remove from heat and serve dusted with Parmesan cheese.
Serves 2-3. From Food52