- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and torn into bite size pieces
- 2 thick slices bread from a large, crusty loaf
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces chopped fresh greens
- 8 ounces of a good melting cheese, thickly sliced
Melt 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil together in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. One fully hot, add mushrooms to pan and cook, stirring regularly, until they’ve released their water and started to turn golden brown, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, toast your bread.
Once the mushrooms have a nice color on them, add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Drizzle with vinegar, most of the chile flakes, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add the greens, cooking just until collapsed. Stir in remaining tablespoon butter and adjust seasonings to taste. Rip bread into irregular croutons and push them into the sauteed vegetables. Lay pieces of cheese atop everything. Turn the heat down to medium low, place a lid on the pan and let the cheese melt, which will take 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the pan and the kind of cheese you used.
Sprinkle with remaining chile and serve.
Serves 4. From Smitten Kitchen