- 2 fresh or roasted red or yellow bell peppers
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 black olives, pitted and chopped
- 4 large 1/2-inch-thick slices bread
- 4 tablespoons sun-dried tomato purée or 4 thin slices tomato
- 4 ounces firm fresh goat cheese log
Remove and discard seeds from peppers, then slice peppers into strips 1/4-inch wide. Put strips in a small mixing bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Add oregano, garlic, olive oil , and chopped olives, and stir to coat.
Put the bread slices on a baking sheet and toast lightly on both sides under broiler (or use a toaster and place toasted slices on baking sheet). Brush with sun-dried tomato purée, if using, or place tomato slice on each piece of bread. Divide peppers among the 4 toasts and spread out to cover.
Top each toast with 1/2-inch slices of goat cheese. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, not too close to the heat, until nicely browned. Serve hot.
Serves 4 as a main. From NY Times