For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
For the topping:
- 8- 10 fresh figs (depending on the size), sliced in half
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons turbinado (or granulated) sugar
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter and flour a 10-inch cast iron skillet. You can also use a 10-inch cake pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamom, and sugar. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and butter. Whisk in the vanilla and almond extract.
Add the buttermilk mixture all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined and no lumps remain. Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Top batter with fresh figs, gently pressing the figs part-way into the batter. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and then sprinkle generously with sugar.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
From Joy the Baker