- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbs oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, and diced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (optional)
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 (15-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbs chile powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 2/3 cup cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- sliced scallions and minced cilantro, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
Combine the quinoa and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until most of the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a medium saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeño, and sauté until softened, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the quinoa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, chicken, cumin, chile powder, salt, enchilada sauce, and 1/ 3 cup of each cheese. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and pour into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
Bake 15-20 minutes, then remove foil. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and browning. Rremove from the oven and allow to cool 10 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped scallions and cilantro, and serve.
Serves 4. From Pink Parsley