- 3 medium-to-large very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (145 grams) brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces) bittersweet chocolate chunks
Heat your oven to 350°F. Butter a 9×5-inch loaf pan, or spray it with a nonstick baking spray.
Mash bananas in the bottom of a large bowl. (You’ll have a little over 1 cup mashed banana total.) Whisk in melted butter, then brown sugar, egg, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together baking soda, salt, spices (if using), flour and cocoa powder. Stir dry and wet ingredients with a spoon until just combined. Stir in chocolate chunks or chips.
Pour into prepared pan and bake 55 to 65 minutes, until a tester or toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out batter-free. Cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and invert it out onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
From Smitten Kitchen