- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium leek, white and pale-green parts chopped, top thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled ginger
- kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 13.5-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- harissa sauce
Heat coconut oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, apple, onion, chopped leek, garlic, and ginger, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are beginning to soften, 5–7 minutes. Add broth, coconut milk, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are very tender, 20–25 minutes; let cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth.
Heat vegetable oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced leek and cook, stirring often, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain; season with salt.
Serve soup topped with harissa and crispy leeks
Serves 4 as a main. From Bon Appetit