- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- Vegetable, canola, or peanut oil for frying
- 1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, stems trimmed, outer leaves removed, split in half
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
Combine fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, chilies, garlic, and cilantro in a small bowl. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with a triple layer of paper towels. In a large wok or Dutch oven, heat oil to 400°F. Add brussels sprouts and shallots. Oil temperature will drop to around 325°F. Adjust heat to maintain this temperature. Cook, stirring and agitating with a metal spider until brussels sprouts are deep golden brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towel-lined baking sheet.
Transfer sprouts and shallots to a large bowl and add dressing. Toss to combine and serve.
Adapted from Serious Eats. Serves 4-6 as a side