- 2 cups cooked beans
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3/4 pound sweet potatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 28-ounce canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- garnishes: hot sauce, sliced scallions, shredded cheese, sliced avocado
Chop onion, peppers, and sweet potatoes into a small dice. Mince garlic.
In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, heat olive oil. Sauté onion, peppers and sweet potatoes on medium-high heat for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Then turn down the heat to medium low.
Add the garlic, tomatoes and their liquid, beans, corn, vegetable broth, and spices. Stir, then cover and cook for at least 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in vinegar. Season with additional kosher salt and pepper to taste. Divide the chili into individual bowls and top with garnishes
From A Couple Cooks. Serves 4