- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 tomatoes, cored, seeded, and diced
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- pepperoni, mozzarella cubes, spinach, sauteed mushrooms, etc.
Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about one minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the tomato sauce and water to the saucepan and stir in the quinoa. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook until the quinoa is tender but still chewy, and white spiral-like threads appear around each grain, about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to sit about 5 minutes. In an oven safe dish, combine quinoa with half of the Parmesan cheese, tomatoes, basil, red pepper flakes, and any other mix ins you’d like to add. Season with salt and pepper if necessary, stir, and top with remaining parmesan cheese. Broil, just until the cheese on top is melted and bubbly.
From Pink Parsley Catering