- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, torn in small chunks
- 2 tbsp finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 tsp pesto sauce or pistou
Slice the eggplant into 1/2-inch rounds. Toss the eggplant with the salt in a large colander, and allow to sit and drain in the sink for 30 minutes.
Preheat the boiler. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and pepper. Without rinsing the eggplant, toss them with the vinaigrette, and let marinate for 15 minutes. Arrange the slices in a single layer on a large nonstick baking sheet. Broil for 12 minutes. Flip the eggplant slices over with a spatula. Broil another 12 minutes.
Heat the oven to 425°F. Place ½ cup of marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch dish and arrange eggplant slices on top. Top with remaining marinara sauce, then cheese. Bake for 30 minutes until the marinara sauce is bubbling, and the cheese is melted. Let the rest for 10 minutes. Drizzle with pesto sauce and serve.
From Serious Eats